Estate Planning & Probate.

Guardianships & Conservatorships

The decision to petition the court for a guardianship and/or conservatorship over an elderly or vulnerable loved one is never easy. You may feel as though you are taking freedom away from him or her. It is important to realize, however, that you are actually protecting the person you care about from a world that may take advantage of his or her weakness. In fact, you are giving him or her a different kind of freedom, enabling him or her to live a safer life.

At Rothstein, Mandell, Strohm & Halm, our attorneys are prepared to work with you to create a plan of action that fully protects your loved one. With more than 60 years of experience behind us, we have the skill and knowledge to meet or exceed your goals.

Call today to arrange a free consultation to discuss your legal options with a dedicated lawyer. From our offices immediately adjacent to Exit 89 on the Garden State Parkway, we serve clients in communities throughout Ocean and Monmouth counties.

What Type Of Decision-Making Authority Do You Need To Create?

There are two ways in which a family member or trusted friend can obtain the authority to make medical, financial and day-to-day decisions on behalf of an elderly person, vulnerable adult or special needs child:

  • Powers of attorney can be put in place by your loved one during the estate planning process
  • If your loved one is incapable of making estate planning decisions, you may petition the court for a guardianship or conservatorship to protect his or her well-being

Guardianships are intended to protect people. When an elderly or vulnerable adult is troubled by everyday tasks such as bathing, taking medication or getting appropriate nutrition, it may be time to consider establishing a guardianship. A guardianship will ensure your loved one is receiving the personal and medical care he or she needs and deserves.

Some elderly individuals or individuals with limitation may have a difficult time handling their personal expenses. This can put them in a vulnerable position if they are left to manage their finances or encounter dishonest people. A conservatorship will allow you to appropriately handle your loved one's financial matters.

Get The Help You Need

For more information on how we may be able to assist with your legal concerns, call us at
732-363-0777 or Toll Free at 888-657-9720. If you prefer you can complete our contact form and one of our attorneys will reach out to you. We serve clients in Toms River and throughout Ocean and Monmouth counties.